Are you experiencing tooth or jaw pain when you bite down? Damaged or diseased teeth increase blood flow and cellular activity, sending painful signals to your brain. Worried you may need a root canal? Consult your emergency dentist in NYC or implant dentist in NYC today! Worried about the procedure? Here are few things to expect from a root canal:
- What is a Root Canal Treatment?
Also known as endodontic treatment, a root canal removes and replaces decaying tooth pulp. What is pulp? Pulp is soft tissue located in your root canals that contain blood vessels, connective tissues, and sensitive nerves. When the pulp is damaged through either injury or poor hygiene, bacteria attacks and kills this pulp; if left untreated, this leads to an abscess or complete loss of the tooth.
- During the Procedure
What does a root canal entail? Here’s the procedure broken down into a five steps:
- Your cosmetic dentist in NYC will use a local anesthetic to numb the affected area.
- The diseased tooth is then separated from your saliva using a rubber dam, and a small opening is made through the crown (top) of the tooth.
- The pulp is removed and the interior of the root canal is cleaned and reshaped.
- Your implant dentist in NYC may also apply medication to eliminate bacteria and the risk of infection.
- A temporary filling is used to keep the area clean until your next visit, when it’s removed and the canal is permanently sealed.
Worried about how you’ll feel after the procedure? Most people experience tissue inflammation and minor discomfort for the first few days. Your dentist will schedule a follow-up exam to monitor the healing tissue, but the rest is up to you! Avoid chewing hard or sticky foods that could pull at the treated tooth; it is also important to practice regular brushing and flossing to maintain the health of you teeth.
Hot and cold temperatures giving you tooth pain? Dentists in NYC with Central Park West Dentistry provide the emergency and cosmetic dental services for your needs. For services, testimonials, smile galleies, or to schedule a consultation, visit our website today!