Periodontal disease can be a serious problem. If left untreated, your teeth can become loose and will have to be removed. You may even need an emergency dentist in NYC.
But with regular care and proper hygiene, periodontal disease does not have to be a serious problem for you.
- Periodontal disease is caused by gingivitis that has gone untreated. Gingivitis inflames your gums and can cause them to bleed, but the pain is minimal. If you floss and brush your teeth and visit your dentist regularly, gingivitis should not be a serious problem for you. However, if your gingivitis is ignored, it can become periodontitis and require a visit to an emergency dentist in NYC.
- Caused by plaque that has grown below your gum line, the plaque bacteria causing by periodontitis releases toxins. Your immune system will attack the bacteria, but attacks your gum, bone, teeth, and connective tissue as well, which can lead to their disintegration.
- Signs of periodontal disease include inflammation of your gums, separation of the gums from the teeth—called pockets, and loosening of your teeth. However, pain is still not severe and the symptoms can remain mild. Periodontitis can be caused by smoking, diabetes, some medications—like antibiotics, hormonal changes, or illness. Some people are also more prone to periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can be treated in many of the ways that it can be prevented, by employing a good hygiene regimen, desisting in the use of tobacco, and professional tooth cleaning from your dentist.
- However, periodontal disease, especially if it is advanced, will need a few extra steps—like deep cleaning and root planning, as well as using a bacterial cleanser that will get into the pockets where the gum has separated from the teeth.
Looking for a reliable dentist in NYC? Visit Central Park West Dentistry at to find an answer for your dental problems today. Ensuring that you have a reliable dentist in NYC will secure your health and hygiene.