Good oral hygiene practices and regular dental cleanings from your dentist are two of the most important ways you can take care of your teeth. Another key aspect of preventative dental care is to protect your teeth with fluoride.
Products You Can Use
If you are looking for ways to use fluoride to protect your teeth from decay, there are several products available, including:
- Fluoride gels for home use
- Fluoride treatments at your dentist’s office
Additionally, tap water in many cities is treated with fluoride and many foods contain fluoride, offering you natural ways to get this mineral for your teeth.
Benefits of Fluoride
Dentists have long known that fluoride helps prevent tooth decay. However, in recent years, research has shed new light on the various ways fluoride can interfere with tooth decay. Currently, there are three known ways that fluoride works to prevent tooth decay:
1. When children use fluoride products while their enamel is developing, the fluoride makes the developing enamel more resistant to the acid attacks produced by bacteria in the mouth.
2. Using fluoride products also encourages remineralization of tooth enamel that has been weakened. Further, fluoride ensures that the enamel crystals that are laid down are of a better quality.
3. The acid made by bacteria is responsible for demineralization of tooth enamel, which leads to tooth decay. Fluoride can reduce plaque’s ability to produce acid in your mouth, thus fighting tooth decay.
Preventing cavities and tooth decay can improve your smile by keeping your teeth healthy and free of decay. Protect and care for your teeth with the excellent dental staff of Central Park West Dentistry. We serve the NYC community with a full range of general and cosmetic dentistry services. Learn more about our practice by calling (212) 579-8885.